A few weeks ago, Ian and I had a rare night when we weren’t working, but were up North at the Airstream, so we decided to do a beach picnic. At the Empire public beach you can either borrow a fire ring or use a grill to make your own dinner while watching the sunset and enjoying a couple beverages. Which is exactly what we did. Alas, all the fire rings were taken by the time we got there to grill, but we had a pretty fabulous hobo dinner regardless and enjoyed on of the best sunsets we’ve seen all summer. It probably doesn't hurt that Ian is an Eagle Scout and knows all about fires and outdoorseiness.
A couple things to note about beach picnics:
1) Make sure you bring a roll of paper towels or a towel--there are inevitable spills.
2) Oberon is the only drink to drink.
3) A wool blanket, preferably from a thrift store, is a necessity--once that sun drops, it gets cool.
4) Watching people with their dogs at the water's edge is the best activity ever.
5) Do this at least one time before September arrives--you won't regret it, I assure you!
A few pictures below of our dinner and hang out process.